Tenants: Frequently Asked Questions



[vc_row][vc_column][vc_accordions][vc_accordion_tab title=”Can I renew my tenancy when it’s approaching the end of the fixed term?”][vc_column_text]Yes, assuming the landlord is agreeable and the new terms proposed by the landlord are acceptable to you.[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”How binding is the Tenancy Agreement I enter into?”][vc_column_text]A Tenancy Agreement is a legally binding document. You will be committed to paying rent until the end of the agreed term and you could face legal action if you break the terms of the agreement. If your circumstances change for any reason during your tenancy we can approach the Landlord on your behalf and discuss possible solutions, but you should always assume at the outset that you will be committed for the duration of the Agreement.[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”How do I reserve the property I would like to take?”][vc_column_text]Simply contact us, and we can make arrangements. Get in touch via online form, or by phone to our Aberdeen or Edinburgh offices as appropriate.

Generally a Tenant Registration Form would be completed, a deposit would be taken, and references would be gathered. Tenancy of the property will not be offered unless full references are provided and found to be acceptable.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”How is my deposit stored, and how is it returned to me at the end of my tenancy?”][vc_column_text]Current legislation requires that all deposits be lodged with a government-approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. Cox & Co use Safe Deposits Scotland for this purpose. They will hold your deposit for the duration of the tenancy, and they will be responsible for its release to you at the end of the tenancy. Full details of the scheme & release arrangements will be provided to all tenants.

See Tenancy Deposit Scheme for more details.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”Who do I contact in the event of an emergency during my tenancy?”][vc_column_text]Please see our Help For Tenants page for details.[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”Who pays the council tax and other bills?”][vc_column_text]All utility bills are your responsibility except where agreed otherwise in the Tenancy Agreement. You must set up your accounts with your chosen suppliers upon moving in and close those accounts at the end of your tenancy.

Council Tax bills are also the tenant’s responsibility. You will be registered with the appropriate local council (e.g., Edinburgh, Aberdeen, East Lothian, etc.) and will be responsible for council tax costs for the duration of the tenancy.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”Do you charge a fee to tenants?”][vc_column_text]No, we do not charge tenant fees.[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][/vc_accordions][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]If you have any queries that are not covered in our FAQ, please get in touch.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Related Posts

Want to learn more about our services or arrange a call?